Popular music is a collective term for music that has a huge appeal to a large-scale audience from around the world. It has a cult following in its various genres of pop, rock, hip-hop, etc. It also houses some of the greatest names in music like Michael Jackson, and the Spice Girls.
However, popular music is not just for easy listening or soundtracks. It can also be an avenue for spreading messages across the globe. In this case, popular music is also around to raise mental health awareness, grasping through the artists’ experiences and thoughts.
For musicians and artists who go through mental illnesses, it is only natural for them to write and sing songs about it.
Awareness for mental health is a tremendous movement by countless individuals. One knows that if he or she is not affected directly, then another is. For musicians and artists who go through mental illnesses, it is only natural for them to write and sing songs about it. Those songs written tackle the subject of mental illness from a variety of different angles. The songwriter might be addressing his or her own thoughts, or an inflicted loved one, or commenting on the issue of mental illness in a broader sense.
1. Ahtisaari, M., & Karanam, K. (2015, July 21). Sync Project. Retrieved June 13, 2018, from syncproject.co/blog/2015/7/21/music-and-emotion
2. Ali, S. (2018, January 30). Psychology Today. Retrieved June 13, 2018, from www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/modern-mentality/201801/logic-brings-suicide-prevention-the-grammy-awards
3. Avert. (2018, April 9). Avert. Retrieved June 13, 2018, from www.avert.org/professionals/hiv-social-issues/stigma-discrimination
4. Klangboonkrong, M. (2014, October 31). Nation Multimedia. Retrieved June 13, 2018, from www.nationmultimedia.com/life/Happy-and-no-need-for-a-pill-30246577.html
5. Painter, D. (2018, June 11). Jacarandafm. Retrieved June 13, 2018, from www.jacarandafm.com/shows/moremusicyoulove-love-too/chester-benningtons-family-speak-out-after-his-suicide/
6. American Music Therapy Association . (n.d.). American Music Therapy Association. Retrieved June 13, 2018, from www.musictherapy.org/about/quotes/